Friday, July 22, 2011

Long Island Sweet Corn

When our Field Marketing Representative visits our Partners on the east end of Long Island, he always stops at the farm in Quogue just off County Rd. 104 and comes back with a sack of sweet corn. Yum! We all scramble to grab a plastic bag to get our share.

It’s all about the tenderness, sweetness and the crunch!

I am going to let you in on a few tips. I couldn’t wait to get that pot of water ready, so I put it on my Electrolux Induction Burner which boils water almost instantaneously. When your water boils, shut off the burner which instantly stops boiling and put in your corn. Keep it in the pot for approx. 2-3 minutes. Ah, the crunch! I already had my butter ready. It was sitting on simmer on my induction cooktop. No problem. I could have that butter simmering all day just in case I wanted an extra ear of that succulent sweet corn.

As an alternative, I often grill my corn. Soak the whole ear of corn in water - leave the husk but remove the silk. Place the corn on the grill and roll back and forth for approx. 10 -12 min. Voila! The crunch with a grilled flavor! You can also roll back the husks and spread with spices, butter, flavored butters or spreads. Pull the husks back up and grill.  Enjoy!
Happy Cooking!


2 comments: